Frequently Asked Questions

I am not your attorney, and neither my staff nor I will give any legal advice on how you should proceed. Such questions must be directed to your legal counsel. My role is to administer cases and liquidate assets for the benefit of the creditors.

How long does it take for an asset case to close?

On average, this can take one to two years. Some cases have been known to take much longer.

How long does it take for a non-asset case to close?

The court enters the discharge approximately 60 days after the first meeting of creditors. The case will close shortly thereafter. Please note, our office does not close these cases, the bankruptcy court does.

What is my filing date?

This is the actual date that your attorney filed your petition. This is not necessarily the date you met with your attorney and it is not the date of your first meeting of creditors.

How do I make a payment to the trustee?

The trustee accepts checks, money orders, and cashier痴 checks made payable to Robert T. Bruegge, Trustee. Please include the case number along with a description of the reason for the payment. (If the trustee has requested your tax refund, you must forward the original check to our office. Do not endorse the check.)

How do I file a claim?

For instructions click here.

What are acceptable forms of original picture identification?

Acceptable forms of identification include a valid driver's license, a government ID, a state picture ID, a student ID, a United States passport, a military ID, or a resident alien card. The trustee must approve any other form of ID.

What are acceptable forms of original Social Security number verification ?

Acceptable forms include a Social Security card, a medical insurance card that includes the debtor's SSN, a pay stub that indicates the debtor's SSN, a W-2 form, an IRS form 1099, or a Social Security Administration report. Any other proof must be approved by the United States Trustee.

Where can I receive credit counseling services that are required by the new laws?

Click here for a list of approved credit counseling services. (Link will open in a new window.)

What are the reasons you can be granted a waiver from completing credit counseling services?

The requirements of credit counseling services may be waived for a debtor who the court determines, after notice and hearing, is unable to complete those requirements because of incapacity, disability, or active military duty in a military combat zone. For the purposes of this requirement, incapacity means that the debtor is impaired by reason of mental illness or mental deficiency so that he is incapable of realizing and making rational decisions with respect to his financial responsibilities. Disability means that the debtor is so physically impaired as to be unable, after reasonable effort, to participate in an in-person, telephone or Internet briefing as required by law.

Why does the trustee need my information one week ahead of time?

Mr. Bruegge needs sufficient time before the meeting to review your information. It is also required by law.

I received a letter from the trustee asking for my tax returns and refunds. What do I do now?

As soon as your tax returns (both federal and state) are prepared, give your tax returns to your attorney. Have your attorney either fax or mail your tax returns to the trustee's office. Allow 7 to 10 days from the receipt of your tax returns for the trustee to review your tax returns. After the trustee reviews your tax returns, he will contact your attorney with the amount that is owed to your bankruptcy estate. Please send a check, cashier's check or money order for this amount made payable to Robert T. Bruegge, Trustee to the Trustee's office.

Once again, let me remind you, I am not your attorney and neither I nor my office staff can give you legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you need to contact your attorney.

Business Succession Planning
Questions? Click Here to visit our Resources Page
©2009, Robert T. Bruegge